Tuesday, August 31, 2010

What's really important?

The next morning after Laila was born I noticed that her right ear had a small deformation. It's on her ear lobe and it just looks like there is a chunk missing. The first thing I said was, " I'll never get to pierce her ears." Then I got over it because I had this healthy beautiful baby that, in my eyes, was perfect in every way. When I took her in for her 9 month check up, her pediatrician said that we may want to think about getting it fixed before she enters school. He said that it would be very simple and that kids can be cruel so it would be good to get if fixed before she starts kindergarten.

We call it her special ear and it never entered our minds to make a big deal about it. I know that I over think things quite often but I have mixed feelings about having her go through surgery for something so minor. It's just superficial. It has no effect on her health in anyway so is it really that important to get it fixed? As she grows up she will just hear it referred to as her special ear and if she feels fine about it, should I really have surgery on it? If she is happy with the way she is, what would it tell her if her parents made her have something so unimportant operated on? I realize that maybe she will be too young to even remember a surgery so minor, but the one thing I know about my Laila is that she is extremely observant, even at 1 year of age. I also realize that the doctor is right, some kids can be cruel, however, I don't want to rush out and make her have surgery because of that. I hope that doesn't sound mean. Trust me, if I could protect her from everything that would ever hurt her, I would. Life has it's ups and downs and I don't want her thinking something so insignificant, like her ear lobe, makes her who she is. If it was something that really bothered her that much, I would get it fixed in a heart beat. I want her to be able to make that decision, though. I don't want to put it into her mind that there is anything wrong with her, because she's adorable just the way she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Listen to BReece59s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones