Saturday, November 13, 2010
My warm house and bed
Ok,I know I live in Las Vegas and my body runs cold anyway but the nights lately have gotten pretty chilly. I'm very thankful for the protection of my home and the comfort and warmth of my bed. I grew up in a very old part of North Las Vegas. It was an old small 3 bedroom 1 bathroom house. I know there were times I wished we had a nicer bigger house, but I was always thankful that I had somewhere to call home and somewhere that protected me. I know not all people have these things. While I was growing up my dads side of the family always did some kind of service project during the Holiday Season. One year we got blankets and quilts together and asked a homeless shelter if we could donate these items to them. They said that we were more than welcome to donate the blankets and quilts but that we had to be the ones to hand them out. We stood there on a chilly night and handed blankets out to people who had nothing. We had a lot and we made sure women and children had them first and then we gave what was left to some men but there still were not enough to give to everyone. You will never know what it feels like to pick and choose who to give the gift of warmth to. It was a very emotional experience for me and I have never forgotten it. I hope to always remember that experience especially when I may be a little selfish thinking I need something I don't or when I think that I need more. I have always been truly blessed and I hope to always be able to remember that.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment