Sunday, January 23, 2011

Getting Healthy

I really never sit down and make New Year's resolutions but there is definitely one thing I need to work on this year. My lovely daughter is 16 months old and I still have yet to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight. It's definitely time to stop being lazy and get my rear in gear.

My biggest challenge is trying to figure out what to do and when to do it. I tried the whole get up before Laila does but that can be really hard for me. I am not a morning person. Plus, I really want to show her how important being physically active is. I am hoping she does not grow up with the weight problems that I grew up with. So, I took a friends advice and bought a jogging stroller. Now, I am definitely not a jogger but that is my goal. I obviously will begin out slowly but I am determined to to stick to this.

I have many reasons for needing to do this all of which are very important to me.

1. I need to be healthy for me. I hate the way I feel right now. I have never been super thin and that really isn't my goal but I do not like this extra weight on me. I still have 20 pounds left to lose before I get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I can feel every pound. The truth is that I love food way too much to ever be a super model but I do need to get back to having a good sense of moderation with my diet.

2. I don't want to have this extra weight on me when I want to get pregnant again. I hope that doesn't sound selfish. I just know how uncomfortable I was with being pregnant the first time and having extra weight to begin with isn't going to help with that. Plus, if I don't lose this weight now then after another pregnancy I'll probably have double to lose. I'm sure that any other woman knows what I am feeling.

3. I am having children later in life. I had my first baby at 29 years old. I know for sure that we want to have another one but heaven only knows when that will happen. We have a time line in mind but if there is anything we know it's that our time lines don't always matter. It took us 7 years to get pregnant with Laila and so we have no idea what will happen the next time around. No matter if it happens right away or takes a while the fact is that we will be older as we are raising children and we need to be healthy to take care of our kids.

4. I want to set a good example for Laila and any other children that come along. I know that in the long run of their lives I can't control if my children will be physically active or if they will eat correctly or not but I do want them to see the benefits of living a healthy life.

5. I grew up over weight and don't want to go back to that. I can't say I was teased or taunted because of my weight because I wasn't. I can't say that my childhood was a nightmare because of my weight because it wasn't. I can say that I was definitely self conscience about myself and my self esteem suffered greatly because of the way that I looked at myself. I always made sure I was in the background of life because I didn't want anyone noticing me. About 5 years ago I set out to lose weight and one day I just decided to do it and never looked back. I was able to lose 70 pounds and it was life changing and I became a different person in so many ways.

So, those are my reasons. I am hoping that if I get this goal out in the open then that will make me all the more determined to stick to it. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. You can do it!

    * If you think having a baby at 29 is "later in life," you must be Mormon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...I know! Considering that my best friend had her 4 kids by the time she was 27 I definitely feel that having my first child at 29 is later in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had our first at 29 too!! It's all good! It ended up being nice that we had that alone time to just be married and be together (even thought I didn't think so at the time:) And it also got easier to concieve with each baby so it might not take as long as you think....:) You can also look at it that the others that have their kids younger had them way too young and you had them right at the right age:)
    I'm in the same boat as well with 20 more pounds of baby weight to lose. It sucks!!! Good luck. I'm sure I will see you around the neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally and completely agree that it was nice having so many years alone with Greg. Although we wanted children we decided to take advantage of the situation and instead of being miserable about not being able to have kids we just tried to understand the Lord would bless us when he saw fit. We did some awesome things, like go on cruises, that we would have never done with kids around.

    Now it's time to kick my butt in gear though. I am just trying to keep my goal in mind. I did my first day yesterday and it went well. Definitely was feeling it last night though. I'll be starting out going Monday, Wednesday and Friday. This poor out of shape body of mine needs to get going gradually.

    ReplyDelete

Listen to BReece59s Playlist


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones